The Mus’Art Youth Wind Orchestra (MYWO) under the auspices of the Jurong Green Community Club is a project of excellence. The orchestra provides avenue for young musicians, from secondary schools, junior colleges, international schools and tertiary institutions. The age range of members is from 9 to 25 years. Under the tutelage of Mr. Wilson Ong, the aim of the MYWO is to provide each student with an exemplary wind orchestral experience and the highest quality professional music education and training. As part of the holistic approach to the education system, MYWO aims to inspire and nurture young musicians, enthusiastic amateurs and dedicated music lovers.
Besides promoting aesthetic appreciation in our schools and to the community, the MYWO will:
- Participate in workshops conducted by renowned conductors - Dr Hardy Mertens
- Organise and perform in an outreach and a public concert tailored to schools and the community
- Be active in promoting works by Singaporean composers
- Promoting music and sharing the gift of music among ourselves and with the community at large
- Develop young leaders through the holistic training programs and events
Youth Band members are also encouraged to pursue Theory and Practical assessments by the ABRSM. Subsidies are budgeted for the ABRSM for MYWO members.
The MYWO offers two levels of membership:
- Performing member in the Main Orchestra, once the student is proven capable
- Performing member in the Youth Orchestra
Rehearsals are held at the Music Studio, Jurong Green Community Club, 6 Jurong West Avenue 1, Singapore 649520
Rehearsals are held once a week: Saturdays, 3 pm to 6 pm
- Rehearsals will stop two weeks before school examinations and will start once examination ends.
- Mentoring sessions will be on Saturdays as well, at the same venue / classrooms in JGCC.
Members of the Youth Band shall be required to bring their own instruments except for the below:
- String Bass
- Percussion / Piano / Synthesizer
Members who are in secondary schools or junior colleges are eligible for the award of CIP hours for their participation in MYWO. All members are advised to give serious commitment to their involvement, as they are required to give priority of commitment to the MYWO.
AUDITIONS and CRITERIA FOR MEMBERSHIP
The MYWO will not be auditioning prospective members. However, a high level of commitment is expected from all members who join the Youth Winds.
For interested applicants, please submit the application form through our online form.